Pages

1.07.2010

The Dresser Re-do Unveiling!

We always have to have a before and after shot.  Here's the before:



I know it's not terrible, but it's not girly.  I wanted a place to do my "final touches" before we went out.  I wanted a happy corner to my bedroom, and by golly, I was making it happen.  One thing stopping me, is budget.  I love quite a bit of what I have.  I knew the light blue color scheme had to stay, because the budget doesn't allow to re-do everything.  Work with what ya got!  Am I right?




Voila!  The star and picture frame stayed.  'love' had to stay as well.  The star, I picked up at Hobby Lobby awhile back.  The picture frame was purchased at Gordmans, awhile back, as well.  The print I got from Jennifer Squires, I believe.  (If I'm wrong someone please correct me.)  I took out the glass in the picture frame because a) it broke, and b) I didn't like the extra glare.   So, those things were already in the bedroom.  Not enough to give it the "uuuumph". 

I went on a shopping trip around my house.  I pulled out my perfume bottles.  Grabbed the antique pitcher (thanks MOM!) from my studio.  The light blue Ball canister was stashed away in the studio, along with the tall oil vase and little white candle.  I had the silver tray from a friend and was dying to put it to use in a "pretty spot," which I would see and use everyday.  Silver deserves it!  Here's a close-up of the tray:



A place for jewelry, bath salts in the Ball jar, baby oil in the oil vase, and my other lotions and potions.  I love that everything is easily ready to use, but still contained in a beautiful way. 

Now, the pitcher has a hidden secret.  Yes, I'm an amazing gardener.  (ha)  Look closely and see what you find.



Nothing special, eh?  Well, the flowers are fake.  I did buy them at Michael's, but they were on sale.  Totally justified.  Plus, they feel real and don't really smell like flowers.  Doubly justified, by the husband standards.  I love the look of flowers, but the smell can be overpowering for me, and especially the men.  So, I got crafty.  But, flowers need a smell and these pretties smell like vanilla.  How?  Why?

I read that the smell of vanilla and pumpkins (seperately or together) is a big turn-on for most males.  Vanilla is easy enough to handle on a daily basis.  So, that's the winner!  Now, the how...

Find an empty vase/pitcher/pretty vessel.  It's best if the base is wider.



Then, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a vanilla reed diffuser set.  Genius!  Open that bad boy up and stick the oil and reeds into the bottom.


(Bad lighting.. oops)

Then, begin placing your flowers around the oil base.  It takes a little bit of arranging, but that's why I hear they call it a floral arrangement. 



The reeds in my arrangement are covered up.  It would be cool if you raised the oil pot up and had the reeds in the mix for a different look.  Maybe for a more organic or modern look.  I was kind of going for my crazy version of shabby chic. 

Now, the mirror.  I stole that from the other side of my bedroom.  It looked lonely and wanted to join my pretty party. 



The sticker on the left says "Live * Love * Rock" by Marah Johnson.  I chose it because, well, it rocked and there are added pinks and browns.  Plus, 2010 is the year that I'm going to rock.  Good reminder.  Also, you can't forget a picture of the husband, with a leftover Valentine's Day sticker.  As the years go on, I'm going to add little pictures or handwritten notes, ticket stubs, wine labels: anything that reminds me of a good time with the husband.  I want it to be somewhat of a memory board, in other words.  Looks empty now, but that only leaves possibilites for new adventures!

Time to get inspired to do the rest of the bedroom touches.. it'll be awhile on that one.  ha!

What is everyone else up to?  Any crafting, organizing, creating things you want to share?  Leave a comment with a link to your blog or how-tos.  I would love to see them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...